Sign up for myFT Daily Digest and be the first to learn about Afghanistan news.
Due to the “specific and credible threat” of an impending attack, the United States warned its citizens to leave the vicinity of Kabul Airport immediately, and the Taliban expanded their armed forces around the location before the August 31 deadline for the United States to withdraw.
The alert from the US Embassy in Kabul came hours after President Joe Biden warned the region “is very likely to have another terrorist attack in the next 24 to 36 hours.”A sort of Suicide bombing On Thursday, more than 100 Afghans and 13 American troops were killed.
Biden stated that the situation is “extremely dangerous” and that “the threat of terrorist attacks on the airport remains high.”
This threat prompted NATO members to hurriedly end their evacuation from the country, leaving behind thousands of Afghans who may be at risk, many of whom are cooperating with foreign troops.
The last flight carrying British military personnel left Kabul on Saturday, although officials admitted that hundreds of Afghans eligible to evacuate will remain in the country. Other countries including Canada and Italy have also completed operations.
The Taliban has increased its military presence around the airport in an attempt to end the chaos following Thursday’s attack, which has increased concerns that the Taliban is preventing a large number of Afghans who are eligible to evacuate from leaving.
The Taliban set up multiple checkpoints on the road to the airport to search for and review arrivals and carry a list of people who may be evacuated. Some of them were heavily armed soldiers, wielding weapons and tactical equipment issued by the United States seized from the former Afghan army.
International humanitarian organizations have warned that Afghans associated with foreign troops and organizations, as well as Western-backed governments and troops that have been overthrown, are in danger of retaliation by the Taliban.
The Taliban denied this and announced an amnesty for any previous opponents, but there were reports that people were killed and searched house-to-house and were considered dissidents.
Islamists have previously stated that although foreign citizens can leave, they do not want Afghan nationals to leave. But on Saturday, Abbas Stanikzai, deputy director of the Taliban’s political office in Doha, said that Afghans with passports, visas and valid travel documents will not be stopped.
Zabihullah, 31, who lives near the airport, said that Taliban militants are actively censoring anyone who tries to pass the checkpoint and making it more difficult to pass.
“It used to be the crowd that brought us difficulties. Now it’s the Taliban,” he said.
ISIS-K, the Afghan branch of the terrorist organization ISIS, claimed that a suicide bombing occurred on Thursday. The United States launched a drone strike on Friday, saying that two “high-profile” members of the organization were killed.
“This strike is not the last time,” Biden said. “We will continue to hunt down anyone who participated in that heinous attack and make them pay the price.”
The Biden administration stated that 113,500 people have been evacuated or helped to evacuate since August 14.