London politician resigns over the cost of “junk” marble arches

[ad_1]

London update

The deputy leader of the Central London Council resigned on Friday because of the rising cost of man-made mounds to encourage tourists to return to the city centre.

Marble Arch Mound is a 25m high temporary building. Due to complaints from tourists about this experience, it was closed two days after it opened at the end of last month. It is described as “London’s worst attraction”.

The deputy leader of Westminster City Council, Melvyn Caplan, who oversaw the project, resigned after more than doubling the cost of the mound from £3 million to £6.6 million. Since 1990, he has been a member of the Conservative Party.

Westminster City Council leader Rachael Robathan (Rachael Robathan) admitted that the attraction was “opened too early” and the cost increase was “completely unacceptable”.

“Unfortunately, I have accepted the resignation of my deputy leader, Melvyn Caplan, who led the mound project. We also initiated a thorough internal review to understand what went wrong And make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said.

The mound reopened after being closed for 13 days, but to encourage visitors, free tickets will be provided for the rest of August and an exhibition space will be built. A cafe will also be opened at the bottom of the 130 steps.

Robathan added: “It’s never an option to do nothing. So when the mounds are completely reopened in September, I hope people will come and see for themselves. The mounds may be delightful or divide the scenery. It’s okay, but we I believe it will eventually fulfill its original mission-to bring people back to the West End and remind them why this is a world-class city.”

The Labor Party criticized the project as a “shocking failure” and called for an independent investigation of how the project went wrong.

Westminster City Council Labour Party leader Adam Hug said: “The City Council needs to answer some basic questions about what went wrong with its decision-making and project management.

“These are questions that must be answered now, but the Labor Party believes that an independent investigation into what happened is needed to ensure that this fiasco does not repeat itself,” he added.

Many initial tourists criticized this mound. The propaganda promises “the magnificent view of central London and Hyde Park”, but the surrounding area is still dominated by construction sites. Some tourists questioned why they would be accused of walking the rockery.

Emma Wright, who visited this attraction last month, wrote On Twitter: “Marble Arch is the worst thing I have ever done in London.” Dalia Gebrial, who visited it earlier this month, Say “I am fascinated and fascinated by its level of trash. This is indeed a monument in 2021.”

The committee had hoped that 200,000 tourists would eventually reach the top every day. Instead, it provides refunds to all those who purchase tickets.

This attraction is part of the city council’s £150 million investment in the shopping area near Oxford Street. Coronavirus pandemicThe “Westminster Unveiling” event will be launched this fall and will include a series of events in galleries and theaters.

The West End Live Music Festival will also return in September with performances in London’s theatre district. The committee stated that the plan was to “bring buzz and footsteps back to London”.



[ad_2]

Source link