The stylist will advise you to avoid being too fanatical about scissors, but sometimes you have no choice but to do it yourself. Cutting hair is more complicated than it seems, and this guide is not one size fits all, but it should at least help you figure out the basics of where to start.
Update July 2021: We have updated this guide with new choices, updated suggestions, new catalogs, and more.
you real Need to cut it?
There are many ways to change your appearance without becoming extreme or doing something you might regret.As my hair stylist Angela Lane Say, “When we are under pressure, we will never make the best hair decision.” In addition, the stylists I interviewed emphasized that home haircuts can quickly go wrong.only Watch the video People who try to give themselves bangs.
Before making any permanent changes to your hair, consider some temporary changes. Now is still a good time to grow hair. You can also fake hair deformation.Create Artificial Bob With the help of some hairpins, or wear a cool hat.If your hair is long enough to be tied into a ponytail, you can use creative styling to Making fake bangs No need for scissors.Try to cover your head Hairpin Or learn Fishtail braid. Go and experiment!
- receive help: Cutting your own hair in the mirror can be tricky. If possible, find someone to help you trim evenly or decide when it will be enough. If you must act alone, use multiple mirrors and take a break to check your appearance.
- Consider texture and length: If your hair happens to be curly, short, dry, or particularly textured, it may be easier to spot errors, so use it with caution.
- Start small: Have you raised your eyebrows with a magnifying glass, but stepped back and found that you have gone too far? The same principle applies to your hair. You can always reduce more, but once you cut too much, there is no turning back. It may be helpful to leave for a few hours before reassessing your position.
- Avoid horizontal lines: When Disney’s Mulan does this, it may look bad, but you don’t want to cut your hair on a large horizontal line. Stand the scissors upright over the length of the hair, instead of passing through it, cutting a little at a time. This is especially important if you are dealing with bangs. Horizontal lines are sometimes necessary to remove length, but vertical cuts can prevent hair from becoming too dull-this is a clear sign of a haircut at home. If you are cutting horizontally, be sure to follow up with vertical cutting to make the ends thinner and make the cut look more natural. If you feel that you are not dexterous enough to cut vertically, try holding the scissors diagonally.
Be conservative. Focus on trimming your hair-don’t try to completely redesign it.If in doubt, you can always wait and make an appointment with your favorite stylist Full vaccination They have time to see you. Below are our best pruning suggestions, as well as links to some tutorials that can help you master the basics.
- Wash and condition your hair, then let it dry completely, because hair shrinks when it dries. This will help you avoid too many takeoffs.use brush Before starting. If your hair does not follow the rules, you can atomize it with water, but try to avoid making it too saturated.
- Make sure you have your Cut Either scissors with one comb On hand. Use clip Help divide your hair into manageable parts. Cut with the end of the scissors instead of the full length of the blade.
- Overhang cloak (Or old towel) on your shoulders.
- Please follow the advice below that best suits your hair.
Divide your hair into several parts. Move forward one section at a time and determine how much you want to take off-we recommend using a quarter inch to a half inch. (A little less than you think it should be.) Cut off the length, then cut the ends to add texture and blend everything together. Watch this video for more in-depth instructions.
Short hair is an example, damp hair can help you. We recommend that someone else do this for you. less is more. If you use scissors, ask your assistant to start on both sides and work around your head. They can use a comb to help guide the scissors and determine where to cut. Be extra careful when trimming around your ears. This video is a good tutorial The classic shortcut to using scissors.
The type of trim you want depends on your curl type (Check your curl type here).For looser 2A to 3B curls, you may be able to Follow this tutorial, Here you can handle dry hair and trim curly hair at an angle to ensure a full-bodied effect.
For tighter curls from 3C to 4C, try to segment the hair, comb gently, and use firm pressure when trimming to prevent the hair from moving too much. This tutorial and This tutorial Both are great choices for highly textured hair.